Monday, November 21, 2011

What I Am Thankful For...

There are so many things for which to be thankful, and I don't know quite where to start.

I am thankful for all the friends that I have made as a blogger, though things have been hectic lately, and I haven't had much of a chance to respond to comments like I would like, you guys make my day when you read my blog, leave comments, and send me emails.  I am very thankful that I have made some wonderful friends while I have been blogging.

I am also thankful for having the opportunity to teach.  Though my high school students may stress me out at times, and the job does not pay that much, I still love to teach.  I am thankful for the rare occasions when the students show a little appreciation for what I am doing.  Often it comes from their parents who tell me how much their kid talks about my class and how much they enjoy it, even though I don't see the same thing out of their children, it's nice to know that I can make a difference.

I am thankful for my friends that I have met since moving back and for the friends that I am able to keep in touch with from grad school. They are an important part of life and it's nice to have someone to talk to about school, life, etc.

I am thankful for my family.  With my grandfather's passing over a week ago now, the importance of family becomes even more apparent.  This Thanksgiving will be a little sad without him, since it will be the first I remember without him, but as a family we will pull through.

I am also thankful for the small group of close friends who I have been able to come out to since I moved back home and back in the closet.  Those friends mean the world to me, because they get to see the real me. There is no hiding who I am.  I can be me and that is a wonderful feeling.  In rural America, there can be so few gay people, and it can be quite lonely.  However, with a few who I can be open and honest with, it makes the loneliness a little easier.

I am also thankful that on the 30th of this month, I will have another birthday.  Some people fret over being a year older, but I like being a year older a lot better than the alternative.  I am thankful for my health and for the fact that I live in a country where each year I get older the GLBT community continues to gain the rights and struggles for equality that we deserve.

There is so much to be thankful for, but these are the big ones.  For each of you...

Thank you for being a friend
Traveled down the road and back again
Your heart is true, your a pal and a confidant.

And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you ever knew
You would see, the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say, thank you for being a friend.


I have to also mention that I am thankful for my loyal companion, HRH, the Queen.  She may be one of the moodiest cats that I have ever known, but she truly is a wonderful and loving companion.


9 comments:

silvereagle said...

And, Joe, I am sure that I can speak for many who visit this site and join me in saying "Thanks To You" for posting this site each day, and bringing new, and often unexpected, ideas to us!! You keep us young!!!

fan of casey said...

Joe: A quote that captures my sentiment --

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.
-- Voltaire

PS: HRH, The Queen, looks so regal on her throne.

Will said...

She's quite lovely. As someone who couldn't live without at least one cat, I understand completely -- moods or no.

Rebecca said...

i'm thankful i met you and found your blog

Anonymous said...

I echo the thanks at having met you, wow, a year ago...your blog is always a bright spot in my day, and I appreciate the work you put into it.

I hope you have a wonderful week with family and friends for Thanksgiving!

Peace <3
Jay

Writer said...

And I'm thankful for your blog and our comment/interactions. :)

Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

Thought I'd chime in as well, Joe.

I am thankful for the civility of your blog. It always brings a lift to my day.

Occasionally your entries make me pause to appreciate something I would normally take for granted.

I have to think you are a light to many, young and old, who need a positive word about who they are as a GLBT person.

So thank you for your diligence, your hard work, and for sharing your passion.

Dan

brotherdoc said...

Thanks for this very special blog and your dedication. My thoughts are with you and the family which will feel the absence of a loved one at table, may there be happy memories to share. And give HRH a bite of turkey, I'm sure she will be thankful (for about 5 seconds at least...).
Blessings!

Mike said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!